In addition to keeping on top of your state speech-language pathologist license and CE deadlines, most of you also need to be sure that your American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) certification is current, and that means keeping up on your ASHA CE requirements. CE Programs offered by ASHA Approved CE Providers and documented with the ASHA CE Registry are recognized by all state regulatory agencies that mandate CE for renewal of licensure.
ASHA CE Requirements
“ASHA Certification Maintenance Standards require that all certificate holders must earn 30 Certification Maintenance Hours (CMHs) of professional development during each 3-year certification maintenance interval… CMHs are accumulated through participation in non-ASHA CEU activities.”
In order to maintain your certification, ASHA needs you to complete 30 hours of continuing education every 3 years.
The 3-year certification maintenance interval begins the first January following the date certification was awarded. For example, certification awarded anytime in
- 2014 is assigned an interval of January 1, 2015 – December 31, 2017
- 2015 is assigned an interval of January 1, 2016 – December 31, 2018
- 2016 is assigned an interval of January 1, 2017 – December 31, 2019
These hours have to meet certain parameters:
- Content must be related to the science or contemporary practice of speech-language pathology, audiology, or the speech/language/hearing sciences
- Attendance must be documented (Certificate of completion or transcript awarded). Documentation must include the following information:
- Title of the course or activity
- Name of the sponsoring organization or college/university
- Date(s) of attendance or completion
- Number of professional development hours earned
- 1 contact hour (60 minutes)=1 Certification Maintenance Hours (CMH)
ASHA Approved Providers
When you get your continuing education courses from an ASHA Approved CE Provider you have the opportunity to earn ASHA CEUs and use those to maintain certification, and meet your state licensure and regulatory agencies’ CE requirements. Identifying an ASHA Approved Provider is a snap! Look for the insignia that identifies provider organizations who meet the ASHA CE Board’s rigorous standards and signifies their affiliation with ASHA.
Speech Therapy University membership expires one year from date of purchase.
Speech Therapy University courses are developed, accredited and delivered via HomeCEU, an ASHA approved provider.